The next steps in the ongoing efforts to beautify and make more efficient the inbound roadways at ATL will impact traffic for a few hours Saturday, February 22. The first major component of the South Roadway pedestrian bridge will be installed, necessitating a closure of the roadway and requiring a temporary rerouting of shuttle buses.
The pedestrian bridges will ultimately clear the roadway of walkers and will increase the throughput of vehicular traffic.
First, however, the bridges must be installed.
During the overnight hours of Saturday into Sunday, February 23, a 120 foot section of bridge weighing more than 50 thousand pounds will be lifted and placed above the South Roadway. This portion of bridge will compose a major part of the pedestrian walkway that will eventually span the roadway from South Baggage Claim to the South parking garage.
To facilitate this construction, a number of impacts will be felt beginning early evening Saturday.
- At 6:00 pm, all shuttle drop-offs will be moved to the North Terminal
- At 6:30 pm, ParkATL shuttle pick-up operations will be moved to the South Lower level
- At 7:00 pm, steps to close the South Upper Outer Roadway will begin. The roadway will be completely closed by 9:00 pm.
- South Economy and South rideshare customers will enter the South lot through door LS1.
- The process should be complete and the South roadways will open no later than 5:00 am Sunday, February 23.
Green–coated guest service representatives will be on hand to direct passengers and answer any questions. Signage communicating the impacts to passengers will be visible in and outside of the airport.